Nadur was separated from the Matrix Church of Gozo (today the Gozo Cathedral) and established a parish for the eastern part of Gozo, by Bishop David Cocco-Palmeri by a notarial decree dated 28th April 1688. Father Bernard Haber (1689-1705) was chosen as first parish priest and was specifically detailed to build the parish church on public land on "Ta' Nadur" hill, donated for such purpose by Fra Gregorio Carafa (1680-1690), a Grand Master of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem. For a time, parish priest Haber officiated from the small rural church known as Sancta Maria della Cala, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, on the outskirts of the village of Qala. After a few years, Father Haber moved the parish seat to the newly built Church at Nadur that was dedicated to the Apostles Saint Peter and St Paul.
2nd SUNDAY OF ADVENT A
December 8, 2013
Then the wolf shall be a guest of the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid;
the calf and the young lion shall browse together,
with a little child to guide them. (First Reading)
Message by the Archpriest
1. Gieh in Nadur to Salvina Buttigieg.
Ms Salvina Buttigieg has been deservedly honoured with "Premju gieh in-Nadur 2013" for her commitment in church, the parish, Mnarja Band club and other fields. click here for her profile.
2. Christmas Novena
The Christmas Novena this year will start on December 15. Being a Sunday, it will be celebrated with the 9.30 a.m. Mass. On weekdays the Novena will be celebrated at 5.00 p.m.
3. Luminaria Christmas Issue.
The next issue of our parish Magazine will be published in the followiung days, together with the parish Calendar, which this year will have a special reproduction of the Ecclesia Stained glass, which was acquired by the parish exactly 100 years ago, in in 1914, having been donated by a Grenoble firm, in France.
Fr. Jimmy Xerri